Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Blogging a la Kunming

We are back! After hours and hours of flying we are back home in Kunming. One especially memorable event was getting to again experience China Eastern Airline's state-of-the-art bucket seats. You must take the next opportunity to truly feel the luxurious comfort of a airline seat that feels literally like you are sitting on a open bucket. I believe it was at least a Top 5 new invention in 1942.

We got back into the full swing of things this week. On Tuesday, we both started classes at our new school with much excitement. Learning Chinese 1-on-1 is simply phenomenal. We highly recommend this school because they take teaching us Chinese very seriously.

Liz is back teaching dance again to the tune of 8 classes a week: Ballet, Jazz, and Funk. There is an overwhelming demand for her classes that we have only begun to tap. We decided to hold off on starting our own studio or partnering with Nordica for the time being because neither option was very attractive or feasible at this juncture. We continue to seek His guidance on how to pursue that avenue for her.

I, Chris, am working at a local private English school to develop an advanced oral English course. It will start as a weekly 3 hour course on Sundays for high school students. We will see where it goes from there. I also had the chance to teach a Lisu minority man how to use the computer for the first time today. I realized how much I take the computer for granted when this relatively young man had never even turned one on before. I was so amazed when I shouldn't really be. I was impressed though by the fishing motion he developed with the mouse. It was quite a strategy for getting the cursor to move across the screen. The hope is that a few of these Lisu people can learn how to use the computer so they can access the wealth of knowledge and resources that the internet offers to help supplement their lack of resources in the villages.

No comments:

Post a Comment