What do Lingonberries, Starbucks, Waffle-irons, and Moon Cake Mountains all have in common? They are all things that we have to travel to another city hundreds of miles a way to get. Granted we don't make trips for just these items but when you're in the neighborhood... Last weekend I, Chris, was in Guangzhou for a Coffee Fair. It was different than I expected but offered a few contacts and connections for coffee beans, coffee roasters, and the like.

Guangzhou is a fascinating city that fuels off the major ports of Hong Kong and Macau. I heard a lot of city's nicknames but none quite as strange as Guangzhou's, the Goat city. Maybe goat is to Guangzhou like steaks are to Omaha. Just a thought.

They also had a China barista competition where some of China's most talented baristas showed up to compete with their skills of pulling espresso shots and latte art.

Ahh, the famous moon-cake mountain. Moon cakes are the traditional food for China's Mid-Autumn Festival. A moon cake is a sweet sometimes salty flavored cake that is usually as heavy as rock. Every year for Mid-Autumn festival it seems that we literally have thousands of cakes in our apartment because everybody loves to give them as gifts. Anyways, moon cakes are a big sell every year so the adjoining Bakery Convention displayed this moon-cake mountain in honor of all those cakes.
The trip to Guangzhou was definitely worthwhile. I made a lot of coffee contacts and even bought a small coffee roaster. It was interesting to go to something like this even though it was all in Chinese.
The coffee company is getting closer and closer to being ready. There are a lot of smaller tasks that still need to be completed, but it is really starting to take shape. In fact, we found a shop location possibility and are currently waiting them out to lower the transfer fee and rent to make it more reasonable. I think the prices will definitely drop but I sure could use wikipedia's guide to location negotiations - the Kunming version.