If you spend any time in our town in China you will notice that children and sometimes adults go to the bathroom everywhere. While this is a gross and very inconvenient thing for your shoes (one of the main reasons we do not wear our "outside" shoes in the house), we embraced the practice when we were potty training Bailey. For example, it was much easy to get her into panties and out of diapers when you could just hold her over some dirt next to the playground every time she needed to go. Well... what happens when you go back to the USA where it is not okay to just go outside whenever you need to? You get one very confused little girl who is constantly having to hold it. Last month when we were in America no matter how much I explained it, Bailey did not understand why it was not okay to "go" outside in the USA when she had been doing it her whole life in China. Most of the time I was able to get her to hold it, but she did confess to my sister-in-law that she had gone potty in their backyard while they were outside playing!!! Thank goodness I have an amazing sis-in-law and brother, and they were gracious about it.
And sometimes it's even confusing at our home here in China...
At Bailey's kindergarten they are only allowed to use toilet paper when they go number two so she's gotten used to not using it for number one. But I tell her that when she's home she must use toilet paper all the time. I've sent her own roll with her to school too, but it never get's taken out of her backpack. I guess she's trying to fit in:) Sigh... it's confusing to be a third culture kid.

No comments:
Post a Comment