Sunday, October 28, 2012

WON Care

My plan was a super early run this morning, but amazingly the VPN is working on my computer so I have to jump on the chance to blog. There's a lot on my mind.
WON Care. That's the ministry I am involved in now. In fact, it's a ministry that my fellow teammates want me to lead, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for that. yet.
What is it? WON= Women of the night. That's who we're reaching. When I started at Eden back in Kunming God broke my heart for the women and girls caught in prostitution and sex trafficking. Since then I've had an incredible burden to do more. This problem is huge all over the world but particularly in Asia.
When I found out we were moving to Shenzhen I was really sad to leave Eden, but I kept praying that the Lord would provide a way for me to continue serving in this way. And WOW did God provide. I didn't know it, but a woman had been praying for a couple of years over the red light district in our neighborhood here in SZ and had started doing prayer walks in January. I heard of her through the fellowship here and contacted her to offer my services and help. The rest is history. She has since had to go back to USA, but I and the five other women on the core team have stepped up and are continuing the work. 
Back in July I started going on the night walks. Yes, I spent late nights in bars with prostitutes while seven months pregnant. Crazy? Maybe. Okay yes. I am. I am crazy in love with a Savior who rescued me from my sin. How can I not share this hope with these women who are in such dire need of both spiritual and physical rescue? I was amazed at how God opened up the doors for us to go into the bars and how willing they were to talk and make relationships. My Chinese was sufficient to communicate with them, and where there were struggles, God filled in the gaps. This is his work. I can trust him to make up for my weaknesses, which are so many!!!
I am so blessed to be a part of this work here, and I am amazed at how God has brought me to this place both physically, but also in my life, here at age 31. Maybe I'm really discovering who I am and my greater purpose for this life here on earth. Yes, I am to minister to my husband and my children (which I love doing!!), but I am called to so much more because I know that God has given me the ability to do so much more! How dare I waste what he has given me?!
Right now we're in the midst of much much prayer preparation and spiritual warfare. We're brainstorming business options to have an alternative source of income for these women when they want to get out, we're setting up an English Corner for them to come to, and we're continuing to share.

I spoke in the larger fellowship here in the city last weekend and presented to the elders and board yesterday. Exciting stuff is happening. Please join me in prayer for this work. If you want to know more of how you can support, please contact me.

1 comment: