I love America. I am so thankful that I was born in that incredible country. Having lived almost seven years in China I can truly say that America is like no other place on the planet. I could go on and on about why, but I really want to write about Bailey.
My three and a half year old had no concept of the 4th of July until today. Her first two fourths were spent outside of America. Last year we were in Indiana, and she was terrified of the fireworks. This morning I started telling her about July 4th. How even though we live in China we are still Americans. I sang our national anthem to her and started teaching her the Pledge of Allegiance. She was confused. Yes Bailey is white and she carries a US passport, but in all reality she is so different from your average three and a half year old who lives in the States. At the same time she goes to a Chinese school, is surrounded by Chinese class mates and Chinese teachers. Chinese people are our neighbors, friends, and every day companions. Yet these Chinese people call her "foreign". So where does Bailey belong? Honestly? She truly doesn't have a country anywhere on this planet where she will be totally accepted or feel totally at home. That's why I'm so glad that she has already trusted in Jesus and is a citizen of an eternal kingdom that will last forever. In that place she will not be foreign. She is and will be a daughter of the king. So when I start to worry about my sweet little third cultures daughters, I don't worry too long. Let freedom ring!
No comments:
Post a Comment