Last night I hosted a baby shower for my friend Krista who is pregnant with her third. We had a wonderful time laughing, talking, shedding a few tears, and eating some yummy homemade goods. But the best thing, in my opinion, was the encouragement. I asked all of the ladies attending to bring a verse or thought of encouragement to share with Krista. All of us have have children. A few of us have adopted. Some are in the process of adopting. All of us, except one wise and mature older woman, are in the trenches of motherhood. The word "trenches" evokes a battle, and in a sense motherhood is that. We are fighting for the souls of our children, and we all need to be encouraged. Though the encouragement last night was specifically meant for Krista, I think each one of us left with a little more strength than we came with. (or maybe it was all that sugar?) :)
Here are a few things that were shared:
Isaiah 40:11 "He will tend his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms; he will carry them in his bosom, and gently lead those that are with young." ... gently lead those that are with young... wow! I need gentle leading every single moment of every day. And that is the example to follow as I lead my children.
Another friend shared about how A.W. Tozer's mother, when she was being applauded for raising such fine young men, she answered that she both poured out her life for and into her children. I so often feel completely spent at the end of the day. I'm just splashed all over the floor. But I'm not just pouring out. I'm pouring into my children. These energies are not being wasted. Lord willing, they will pay off. And no matter, as long as I am being obedient to the Lord, he in the end, is ultimately responsible for my children's souls.
Another friend read some lines from the hymn "Take My Life and Let it Be". This verse in particular, "take my moments and my days. Fill them Lord with ceaseless praise." Often these "moments" are the hardest things to surrender in a momma's heart. The daily training, cleaning, whining..... are the things that wear me out. But these small moments are what God desires. My all.
Anyway, I left encouraged. I hope Krista did too. I'm so thankful for this group of women, to help point my eyes in the right direction when they start to turn inward. But I'm most thankful for my Shepherd; the Shepherd who's right here with me holding my hand and wanting and caring about each moment of everyday.
No comments:
Post a Comment