Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2012 in review

It's already 17 days into the new year, but it's time to take note of some highlights from 2012. Though I feel like I say this at the end of every year, 2012 was a whirlwind year of change.




  • The girls and I spent January and February in the USA with family. It was wonderful to be with my parents in KY for a month, and then get to finally spend some time in CA with my brother Matt and his dear family. The girls adore their cousins though they rarely see them so this time was extra sweet. However, it was so difficult to be apart from Chris for so long.
  • March was spent with Chris job hunting and working on his MBA. We knew change was coming, but we didn't know exactly what it would be. I continued teaching dance at Eden though I was slowing down a little because I was growing a baby!
  • In April Chris moved to Shenzhen to get things rolling for his new job with Starbucks! This was the beginning of another long separation between us as I finished our responsibilities in Kunming and packed up our apartment. Meanwhile Chris was finding an apartment for us in SZ.
  • In May we hosted our yearly team from Grace University. It was a wonderful group of students, and they got to do so many things with our various contacts in KM. And of course the icing on the top was having Sue here too!
  • In June we moved to SZ, and boy was that crazy!! Seven months pregnant with six suitcases, a two year old and four year old, I thought we would never make it. It was so hard to say goodbye to our home for the past six years. We have so many dear friends and memories there. Chicago Coffee. NYC Dance Studio. Power House Gym. Nordica. Fellowship. 创意英国。English Corner. Rainbow. Fox. Eden. The homeless shelter. Wen Lin Jie. my scooter.....just to name a few. Kunming will always hold a special place in my heart.
  • June and July were tough. I felt so lonely. I was so pregnant. I was so homesick for Kunming, and it was so stinking hot!!! My consolation was meeting the ladies who wanted to start WON Care and joining that work.
  • In August we returned to Chiang Mai, Thailand, the birth place of now all three of my children. We spent a wonderful six weeks at the Juniper Tree with my mom, Karen. Chris and my dad joined us for the birth. The girls loved running free in the grass, swimming, and playing with new friends who live in countries all over Asia. 
  • AUGUST 24TH, MAXIMUS JAMES WAS BORN! I became a mother of three and a mother of a Son!
  • In the fall we returned to Shenzhen, and I officially began homeschooling Bailey in Kindergarten. 
  • I started leading the out reach team for WON Care. I've witnessed miracle after miracle of God providence.
We moved, had a kid, went to a few countries, started homeschooling, started a new job, stretched and grew, and grew some more. 2013 already has some more big changes in store for us, but I know it's going to be a good year. God is always so faithful. His ways our perfect. As we continue to follow his leading and stay in his plan we will be exactly where we need to be.
Happy New Year!