Thursday, September 30, 2010

really into food

I've always enjoyed cooking, but as I age (30 is right around the corner folks!!), I find that I am enjoying it more and more. What I love is finding yummy recipes for super healthy whole foods. The market here is amazing for such things. Talk about fresh! My problem is that I don't know what half the vegetables represented there are let alone how to cook them. Last time I was there I saw two live chickens get their throat's slit. Poor guys had just been purchased for dinner...
That was a little bit tough to watch but also very intriguing. I bought a live (not live for long after I bought it) chicken once at the market, but ended up giving most of it to my helper as (though we have acclimated to the food here) I don't cook with the organs, head, or feet. I figured it was more cost effective for me to just purchase frozen chicken breasts rather than a whole fresh chicken. Lately I've been experiencing with more tofu rather than meat options for protein. I also made my first bean soup from soaked beans rather than beans from a can. It is so fun to prepare these dishes that are full of healthy goodness and see my family eat them up. After her eggs this morning Bailey had pumpkin, flax, and wheat germ oatmeal. mmmm mmmm yummy! Often I'll get into bed at night and realize a whole day has gone by without a single processed food eaten by any of us! It is a blessing to be able to cook this way. My next food project is homemade nut butters such as peanut, almond, and cashew. I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment