Monday, February 28, 2011

幼儿园 (You er Yuan) or Kindergarden Tales part 1

our view from the second floor of the bus
on the bus
Bailey starts Chinese Kindergarden tomorrow! The journey to to this point, however, has been going on since November. Mostly it's been going on as thoughts in my head and deep prayer times to the Lord for wisdom about whether or not she should go, and which kindergarden she should attend. In November I observed at a very small montessori-ish school, and came away discouraged. The children were not very kind, and Bailey did not want to participate at all. I realized she wasn't ready, and neither was I. Fast forward about four months. We got a good price at the much larger public kindergarden in our residential complex, and so far I feel positive. Right now Bailey is thrilled (but she hasn't actually gone yet without mommy!!).
We've been having quite an adventure getting all of our paper work etc... ready to go.
First, Bailey had to get a health check. After taking a taxi to the incorrect location then walking to the right location we were told that we had to come back after 1pm. It was 11:50am, and they were going to lunch. Bummer. We did, however, ride a giant double decker bus home which Bailey enjoyed.
The next day we set out in the morning on the scooter. I paid the fee then we went from room to room on various floors seeing various doctors about various things. Bailey was a rock star!! Everyone loved her. She kept saying, "Wo jiao Bailey. Wo san sui.) Translation: My name is Bailey. I'm three years old. They definitely were not pleased that she was sucking her thumb though! All was smooth until we got to the finger prick. The kids were hysterical. Those things hurt!!! Bailey bravely watched the other kids get pricked while I nervously watched the technician take blood from kid after kid without changing her gloves!!!!! She had blood on her fingers, would wipe them with an alcohol soaked cotton ball and then kind of smear it around. I was horrified! I kept thinking, "I've got to get her to change her gloves before she sticks Bailey!!!" There was one kid in front of us in line when she got out her nasty rag and started wiping up the windowsill where are the blood droplets were. Then, she changed her gloves!!! But there was still one kid in front us...... however, he would not agree to getting his finger pricked so we got to go in front of him. Voila!!! or more like, Thank you God for that little blessing. I didn't have to say anything, and we got clean gloves!!!
Now Bailey is officially enrolled. She is in the 海马班 (Sea Horse) class. She will attend three days a week in the mornings.
Please pray for her that she will have a smooth transition, that she will learn Chinese quickly, and that she will love it!!
Stay tuned for more kindergarden posts in the future!!


No comments:

Post a Comment